Even in a seller’s market, you always want to put your listing’s best foot forward when selling your home. This can affect the home’s value and ultimate sale price. Let’s take a look at the 12 best tips for selling your home.
1. Get a good real estate agent. A great real estate agent will handle so much of the paperwork and process for you, it’s really a no-brainer to have a listing agent represent you. They have the right connections, network, marketing and resources to sell your home for top dollar in the shortest amount of time.
2. Have a pre-listing home inspection. Not only will this inspection clue you in to possible fixes that need to be made but also give you peace of mind that there will be no surprises when a potential buyer has their home inspection done.
3. Declutter and then declutter some more. You want to keep your home tidy and easy to keep clean for showings. Clutter also detracts from the good features of your home and is distracting to buyers.
4. Have a professional deep cleaning before you begin showing your home. This will get your home gleaming clean for showings and you can just maintain the clean easily afterward.
5. Pay attention to curb appeal. Your outdoor appearance can prevent a buyer from even bothering to come in the front door! Make sure your landscaping is clean and clutter-free and you have a nice, clean and inviting entryway to entice buyers to come in.
6. Keep odors away. Whether the odors are pet odors, food odors or trash odors, take care of them and get everything smelling pristine before you have any showings in your home.
7. Work your lighting. Make sure your home is nice and bright. Open curtains for as much natural light as possible and make sure to use indoor lighting to accentuate every inch of space and make your home feel large and spacious.
8. Go with a coat of paint. If needed, paint your home using neutral colors that are light and inviting.
9. Complete all small repairs before you begin showing the home. A home with obvious repairs needed can leave a potential buyer wondering what else is wrong with the home.
10. Focus on the kitchen. If you have to use some budget for updating your home aside from painting, that budget is generally best spent in the kitchen. The kitchen is the hub of the home and can make or break a home sale. Take care of any updates or upgrades before you list the home.
11. Get organized. Organize contents in drawers, cabinets, closets and throughout the house. The more organized a home is, the more spacious and appealing it feels for buyers.
12. Remove pets for showings, if possible. While this might be less possible with cats, definitely take your dog with you when you leave the home to allow a showing. It will make the potential buyer feel more comfortable and at home.
Selling your home is a big deal. You want to get top dollar for your listing. We’ve put together this handy list of the 12 best tips for selling your home to help you do just that. And when you’re ready for your pre-listing home inspection, be sure to call Bridgewater Homewatch at 843.903.HOME.